October 3, 2017
Copley Hospital is offering seasonal flu vaccine clinics for adults beginning October 19th. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that people get vaccinated by the end of October if possible. By getting your flu vaccine you are protecting yourself, your family and those around you from the flu. Copley Hospital will be offering flu shot clinics on the following dates and locations:
October 19th – 9:00-11:00am Copley Hospital, Main Lobby
October 23rd – 10:30am – Noon Copley Woodlands, 125 Thomas Lane, Stowe
October 23rd – 2:00-4:00pm Copley Hospital, Main Lobby
The seasonal flu is a contagious respiratory illness and can cause mild to severe illness. Each year in the United States, on average 5%-20% of the population gets the flu. Flu-related complications include pneumonia and dehydration.
While the CDC recommends everyone 6 months and older be vaccinated, it’s especially important for those who care or live with someone at high risk be vaccinated from spreading the flu. Those considered at high risk include:
• People who have certain medical conditions, including asthma, heart disease, diabetes, chronic lung disease and
a weakened immune system
• Pregnant women
• Persons 65 years and older
• People living in nursing homes or other long-term care facilities
• Household contacts and caregivers of people with the medical conditions listed above
In addition to receiving the seasonal flu vaccine everyone should practice daily good health habits. These include:
• Washing your hands often with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand rub.
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. Germs spread this way.
• Avoid close contact with sick people.
• Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy food.
• Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
• If you are sick with flu-like illness, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone without the use of
• Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that maybe contaminated with germs like the flu.
Should you have any questions regarding the seasonal flu vaccine, or dates and times of Copley’s Flu Vaccine clinics, contact the Hospital’s Wellness Center at 802-888-8369 or visit us online at www.copleyvt.org. There is a charge for the vaccine, unless you are covered by Medicare Part B.